The Board of Regents of the UT-System schools requires that all international students be billed medical insurance every semester. The Board of Regents has granted an exception for Mexican Nationals attending institutions of UTPA, UTEP and UTB. The minimum coverage is:
- Medical Benefits - unlimited maximum on benefits
- No Pre-existing condition limitation
- Medical Evacuation - $10,000 or more
- Repatriation - $7,500 or more
- Deductible cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness
- All insurance policies must be compliant with the Affordable Care Act (PPACA)
NEW WAIVER REQUIREMENT - EFFECTIVE FALL 2014
The UT System has approved new criteria for waiver eligibility. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the System regulation and be PPACA compliant. Your external insurance policy may no longer qualify for the waiver.
For more information on the regulation and waiver requirement, visit: http://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules-regulations/rules/50402-health-insurance-requirements-international-students
University of Texas System Injury and Sickness Insurance
For a complete list of all the benefits, exclusions, and limitations, please see the current plan year brochure. You can view the current brochure by going to the carrier website at:
Follow the directions on the website for more information on the policy.