Additional Requirements for Enrollment

Proof of Meningitis Vaccination
New Texas law requires all first-time students, including transfer and returning students to submit evidence that the student has had a vaccine, against bacterial meningitis prior to enrolling or to provide other documentation establishing why such a vaccination is not required.

All first-time students, entering freshmen, transfer students and those who are returning after having stopped out for a fall or spring semester, must provide one of the following documents to the Office International Admissions and Services (OIAS):

  • A Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Record" signed by a health practitioner evidencing that the student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis. Confirmation of the MCV4 (Menactra) vaccine will satisfy as the requirement. The MPSV4 (Menomune) vaccination may not be accepted unless administered or boosted within the past 5 years. Vaccinations must be administered no fewer than 10 days prior to the student's first day of enrollment. Students will not be permitted to enroll until a full 10 days have passed since the date of the vaccination.
  • A "Refusal of Immunization for Medical Reasons" signed by a physician who is licensed and registered to practice medicine in the United States which states the physician's opinion that the required vaccination would be injurious to the health and well being of the student.
  • A "Texas Department of State Health Services Conscientious Exemption" signed by the student stating that the student has declined the vaccination for reasons of conscience, including religious belief. 
  • A Conscientious Objection form for a student NOT LIVING IN ON-CAMPUS HOUSING. For new students (age 18 years or older) at institutions of higher education and NOT living or residing in on-campus housing, who wish to file an affidavit stating that the student declines the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, the student may use the official Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s form, accessible from the website at the link below. The student must print the form, have it notarized, and file it with the institution’s Registrar’s Office or other designated department or unit.
  • The Texas Higher Education Coordinating board form must be completed, notarized, and provided to the designated school official at the institution the student will be attending. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the form and have it notarized. To download the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board affidavit visit
  • A Conscientious Objection form for a student LIVING IN ON-CAMPUS HOUSING, or under age 18. For new students living in on-campus housing, which includes student housing facilities located on the campus of a institution of higher education, such as dormitories, sorority and fraternity houses, privately owned residence halls, and apartments, the student must use the official Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) form. The DSHS form may be ordered electronically. It is then mailed from DSHS to the student and it may take up to two weeks to receive the form.

*This form must also be used by students under the age of 18, regardless of whether they are living on or off campus.*

The DSHS form must be completed, notarized, and provided to the designated school official at the institution the student will be attending. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the DSHS form and have it notarized. Information about requesting the DSHS affidavit form is available by

Other Exceptions:
Students who meet one of the following specific exceptions permitted by the law do not have to provide proof of the vaccination:

  • New students who are 22 years of age or older on first day of the semester
  • New students who are enrolled only in on-line or distance classes