The Office for Student Involvement is recruiting full time faculty and staff members to serve as advisors to any of the more than 190 student organizations at the University of Texas Pan American.
All registered student organizations are required to have an advisor who is a full-time faculty staff member at the University of Texas Pan American. Graduate students and Alumni are not permitted to serve at an official capacity as the faculty/staff advisor, although organizations are encouraged to have students serve on advisory teams.
- are critical to the success of a student organization.
- are active and involved to promote leadership.
- counsel and advise student organizations by asking questions.
- challenge students and support their efforts.
- provide continuity for an organization to pass along valuable information.
- require spending some additional time and effort to work with student organizations.
- encourage student development.
- build a learning relationship with the students.
There are many benefits associated with becoming an advisor to a student organization. Here are some:
- Satisfaction of seeing and helping students learn and develop new skills
- Watching a group come together to share common interests and work toward common goals and an understanding of differences
- Furthering personal goals or interests by choosing to work with an organization that reflect one's interests
- Sharing one's knowledge with others
While serving as an organization advisor, one can be involved as one would like to be and as your schedule permits. There are some specific responsibilities of an advisor such as:
- Attend meetings
- Provide guidance to the officers
- Review all financial statements and oversee financial transactions of the organization
- Ensure that officers meet minimum GPA according to constitution (if applicable)
- Provide consultation concerning membership selection procedures
- Review the bi-annual update registration packet
If you are interested in becoming an advisor to a student organization, please complete and submit the Student Organization Advisor Interest form. By submitting this form, your university information will be placed in a directory and made available to student organizations who are seeking an advisor.
If you have any questions about serving as a student organization advisor, please call Carina Alcantara at (956) 665-7081, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.