Requesting Your Student Records

Records Request Policy

A student’s file will remain in the DS office for 5 years from his/her graduation date or from the last semester services were rendered. Files are then transferred to UTPA Records Management Department to be stored for an additional 2 years. Upon completion of these seven (in total) years, the student’s file is to be shredded. To request a copy of all or part of your records from The Disability Services office (DS) under “The Freedom of Information Open Records Act” you may send your written request directly to a member of the DS staff at

Disability Services

1201 West University Dr.

University Center #108

Edinburg, TX 78539

or you may e-mail your request to Per UT System policy, the University cannot accept verbal requests for open records.

Please include the following information in your request: your name, student ID number, (if not a current student, a Social Security number), date of birth, contact information and specific request (i.e., which records and a period of time covered).

Specifically state whether you want:

  1. Entire DS file including electronic case notes
  2. Part of the file (i.e., assessments, accommodations letters, correspondence)

You may also contact the Disability Services office at (956) 665-7005 or for further instructions.

Contact Info

Student Accessibility Services Edinburg
Room: University Center 108
Phone: (956) 665-7005
Fax: (956) 665-3840

Student Accessibility Services Brownsville
Room: Cortez 129
Phone: (956) 882-7374
Fax: (956) 882-7861

Office Hours

Mon - Fri 8:00am - 5:00pm
Sat - Sun Closed