Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services
In accordance with Section 504 and the Education Code, ALL new incoming students will be required to submit the following documents to Office of Services for Persons with Disabilities, to remain on file, and to receive an approved tuition waiver for The University of Texas Pan American.
Certificate of Deafness for Tuition Waiver (Student is responsible for applying through and obtaining a signed certificate with the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, Division of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services based in Austin, Texas.
Dealing with Instructors and tough classes
Go talk with your instructors! They will have posted office hours and this is a good time to meet with them (donít forget to fill out an interpreter request form!) Explain to them if you are having difficulty in the class and talk with them about ways to improve. DO NOT wait until midterms to go talk with them... instead, see them early and often! Making sure your instructor knows your name and who you are will be a big help!
Things that may upset instructors
- Sleeping in class.
- Arriving Late.
- Not going to class.
- Lack of responsibility.
- Not asking questions!
- Not reading the syllabus.
- Not handing in work on time.
Things to help to improve your memory
- Make your own flash cards! If you have to memorize formulas, information or vocabulary, flash cards are a great way to test yourself.
- Highlight important information in your textbook and pay extra attentions to words or phrases that are in bold.
- Make up acronyms or mnemonics to recall information (i.e. Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally = Parentheses first, then Exponents, then Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction).
How to be a successful student
Read the material BEFORE you go to class. This way, you will recognize new vocabulary and have a better idea of what will be discussed in class.
Here are some web sites that might be helpful:
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
National Institutes of Health
31 Center Drive, MSC 2320
Bethesda, MD USA 20892-2320
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/thebasics_hearingaid.asp Starkey Hearing Foundation