WHO IS ELIGIBLE
ONLY eligible students will be invited to New Student Orientation:
- Students who have been accepted for admission for Summer I, Summer II or Fall 2014 as Entering Freshman.
- Students who are TSI cleared/exempt or those who have tested in all three areas (math, reading and writing). To check your TSI status, contact the University Academic Advising Center (UAAC) at (956) 665-7120.
1. You are exempt or have tested, but have not sent UTPA your scores, we need them! Submit them to the office of Admissions and New Student Services.
o Fax scores to (956) 665-2687
o Hand deliver scores to the Admissions counter in the Visitors Center
o Mail test scores to:
The University of Texas - Pan American
Attn: Admissions Office (SSVC 1.124)
1201 West University Drive
Edinburg, TX 78539
2. You are not exempt and have not tested, you need to test! Contact the University Testing Center to complete the TSI Assessment exam. For more information contact them at (956) 665-7587 or review the TSI Assessment flyer. If you are having problems accessing the flyer, visit the Testing Center website at www.utpa.edu/step.
HOW TO BEGIN
Reserve your seat for your Orientation Session on ASSIST.
- Log in to myUTPA (with your username and password).
- Once you are logged in to myUTPA, click on the ASSIST icon shown in the My Applications section. The ASSIST website will open.
- Click on the “Admissions” tab.
- Click on the “Orientation Reservation System”
- Continue with the steps and reserve the date of your choice
WHAT TO EXPECT
There are two parts to the mandatory New Student Orientation program.
Part 1: Attend a New Student Orientation Session
This one-day session is the beginning of New Student Orientation. You must reserve your seat online and pay your orientation fee prior to attending your session. During orientation you will meet with your academic adviser, get your Bronc ID, register for courses and get your class schedule.
To-Do List: Review the items noted below and submit any missing items as soon as possible. Some items will be completed at New Student Orientation, but the first TWO items must be submitted before your orientation session.
1. Submit College Transcripts:
o Submit a college or university transcript from each institution you attended. This includes any coursework done in high school including any Dual Enrollment programs.
2. Submit Proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination:
o All new students under the age of 22 are required to submit evidence of receiving the bacterial meningitis vaccination (administered within the past five years) before you can enroll. Students will not be allowed to register without providing proof of meningitis vaccination or exemption.
3. Pay for New Student Orientation:
o There is a $75.00 non-refundable fee for New Student Orientation. Please make sure you pay the fee before you attend the event, you can pay online at ASSIST or in person at the Payments & Collections Office located in the Student Services Building.
4. Bring Two Forms of Identification with You:
o Examples of what to bring: Driver’s License, Military ID, State issued ID card and/or a Passport/VISA, original Social Security Number card, original Voter Registration card, a credit card and/or an Employee ID/Badge.
5. Wear Comfortable Shoes:
o You will be doing a lot of walking around the UTPA campus so be as comfortable as possible; do not forget to bring your best smile too!
Your Bronc life starts here! This is the final step to the New Student Orientation process. At the mandatory one-day Bronc Roundup event you will learn about your college and major, network with fellow Broncs and student organizations, attend break-out sessions designed to make your Bronc life successful, and meet your future classmates!
As soon as you reserve your seat we will send you a confirmation e-mail that includes your orientation date, location of the event and parking information. This confirmation will be sent to your UTPA issued Bronc email address, so if you have not yet activated your account please do so immediately. Go to https://myaccount.utpa.edu for more information.
Parents and family members are invited to attend a one-day orientation session. The topics addressed include transition to college, academic expectations, campus safety, financial aid and university resources. There is no fee to attend, but there is a limit of two family members per student.
To register, please visit us online at www.utpa.edu/familyorientation. For more information, please call (956) 665-3183 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESCHEDULE AN ORIENTATION DATE
If you cannot make it, just let us know as soon as possible so we can reschedule your orientation date. Should you need to reschedule, e-mail us at email@example.com or contact Brenda Enriquez, Coordinator of Recruitment and Orientation, at (956) 665-5206. Please include your full name and UTPA student ID number to the email or voice message.
Enrolled students who did not attend their scheduled orientation session will still be charged the new student orientation fee.