WHO IS ELIGIBLE
ONLY eligible students will be invited to New Student Orientation:
- Students who have been accepted for admission for Spring 2015 as Entering Freshman.
- Students who are TSI cleared/exempt or those who have tested in all three areas (math, reading and writing). To check your TSI status, contact the University Academic Advising Center (UAAC) at (956) 665-7120.
1. You are exempt or have tested, but have not sent UTPA your scores, we need them! Submit them to the office of Admissions and New Student Services.
o Fax scores to (956) 665-2687
o Hand deliver scores to the Admissions counter in the Visitors Center
o Mail test scores to:
The University of Texas - Pan American
Attn: Admissions Office (SSVC 1.124)
1201 West University Drive
Edinburg, TX 78539
2. You are not exempt and have not tested, you need to test! Contact the University Testing Center to complete the TSI Assessment exam. For more information contact them at (956) 665-7587 or review the TSI Assessment flyer. If you are having problems accessing the flyer, visit the Testing Center website at www.utpa.edu/step.
HOW TO BEGIN
Reserve your seat for your Orientation Session on ASSIST.
- Log in to myUTPA (with your username and password).
- Once you are logged in to myUTPA, click on the ASSIST icon shown in the My Applications section. The ASSIST website will open.
- Click on the “Admissions” tab.
- Click on the “Orientation Reservation System”
- Continue with the steps and reserve the date of your choice
WHAT TO EXPECT
There are one part to the mandatory New Student Orientation program.
I) Attend a New Student Orientation Session
This one-day session is the beginning of New Student Orientation. You must reserve your seat online and pay your orientation fee prior to attending your session. During orientation you will meet with your academic adviser, get your Bronc ID, register for courses and get your class schedule.
To-Do List: Review the items noted below and submit any missing items as soon as possible. Some items will be completed at New Student Orientation, but the first TWO items must be submitted before your orientation session.
1. Review the "PRE-Orientation" Checklist Steps:
o The items noted in the steps should be reviewed and completed BEFORE you attend your orientation session. Click here for the steps.
2. Complete the ACT Engage Survey online:
o This will need to be completed before you attend your orientation session. Click here to register for and complete the survey. You will need to register with your UTPA student ID number so please make sure you have it ready.
3. Submit Proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination:
o All new students under the age of 22 are required to submit evidence of receiving the bacterial meningitis vaccination (administered within the past five years) before you can enroll. Students will not be allowed to register without providing proof of meningitis vaccination or exemption.
4. Pay for New Student Orientation:
o There is a $75.00 non-refundable fee for New Student Orientation. Please make sure you pay the fee before you attend the event, you can pay online at ASSIST or in person at the Payments & Collections Office located in the Student Services Building.
5. Bring Two Forms of Identification with You:
o Examples of what to bring: Driver’s License, Military ID, State issued ID card and/or a Passport/VISA, original Social Security Number card, original Voter Registration card, a credit card and/or an Employee ID/Badge.
6. Wear Comfortable Shoes:
o You will be doing a lot of walking around the UTPA campus so be as comfortable as possible; do not forget to bring your best smile too!
As soon as you reserve your seat we will send you a confirmation e-mail that includes your orientation date, location of the event and parking information. This confirmation will be sent to your UTPA issued Bronc email address, so if you have not yet activated your account please do so immediately. Go to https://myaccount.utpa.edu for more information.
Parents and Family Members: We are excited to welcome you to our UTPA family. Parent and family involvement is an important factor in student's success. UTPA wants to partner with you to encourage and support the academic success and personal growth of our students.
Join us at Family Orientation where you will gain the skills and knowledge needed to support their transition. Learn how you can be actively involved in their education from now until graduation. The following topics will be addressed during the session: Academic Support Services, Campus Safety, Factors Leading to Student Success, Financial Literacy, Health and Wellness, Role of Families in Supporting Students, Student Involvement, and Student Services and Resources.
When students register for orientation, they will have the option to add the names of two family members that will join them. Please note that family members must attend on the same day the student registers to attend orientation. There is no fee to attend, but there is a limit of two family members per student. In order to focus on the presentations, we advise that you leave small children at home. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
For more information, please call (956) 665-3183, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.utpa.edu/familyorientation.
RESCHEDULE AN ORIENTATION DATE
If you cannot attend the orientation session that you registered for online through ASSIST, go back online into ASSIST and select an alternate date.
Enrolled students who did not attend their scheduled orientation session will still be charged the new student orientation fee.