Q:What is the ITSM Program?
A phased five-year plan to transform the Division of Information Technology (IT) from a technology provider to a strategic, business-oriented service operation by implementing Information Technology Service Management (ITSM). The program includes implementing the ITIL Framework and selected processes in a series of phases.
Q:What is IT Service Management (ITSM)?
IT Service Management (ITSM) is the implementation and management of quality IT services that align with the business needs of an organization while providing the best end-user experience. ITSM employs ITIL best practices.
Q:What is ITIL?
ITIL stands for Information Technology Infrastructure Library. It is a globally recognized set of best practices for IT Service Management (ITSM) created by the United Kingdom's Central Computer and Telecommunications Agency (CCTA). It provides a customizable set of industry standard principles and processes in achieving quality IT services and overcoming the complexities associated with growing IT systems.
Q:Why are we changing the way we do things?
As UTPA continues to grow, so do the demands for IT services. In order to meet those demands and provide the best value to our customers, we must position ourselves as a state-of-the-art university with clearly defined services that are more effective and efficient. ITSM will help us accomplish this.
Q:What are the benefits of ITSM?
Some of the benefits of ITSM include the following:
- Supports the ability for IT to measure and improve internal performance, efficiency, service provisioning, and resource allocation.
- Provides a single, definable, repeatable, and accessible documented framework for IT best practices that flow across the IT organization.
- Clearly identifies roles and responsibilities for IT Service Management
- Improves communication, relationships, and information flows between IT and organization business departments
- Allows IT to take advantage of business opportunities and challenges.
- Improves IT strategic planning
- Improves resource prioritization to meet customer requirements
Q:What changes can I expect with ITSM?
IT processes at UTPA will be streamlined and standardized so that everyone knows and understands them. Additionally, processes will be facilitated through a single-point-of-contact.
Q:How can I get more information?
We will update this site regularly as the project moves forward. So be sure to check back often.