News & Announcements Archived by Year
News & Announcements
2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010
11/06/2013 - We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting unwrapped toys to benefit the 19th Adopt-An-Angel Program. This program donates toys to children of UTPA students.
Unwrapped toys with a value of at least $15 can be dropped off at the Police Department between November 6, 2013 and November 22, 2013. In lieu of a toy donation the Police Department will dismiss one (1) parking ticket with the exception of a few parking violations, for more information see flyer
- 10/21/2013 - We are pleased to present the Results and Analysis Report of the 2013 Police Services Survey, click here to view the report with charts or here without the charts
- 09/30/2013 - 2013 UTPA Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is availble click here to view
- UTPA Police Campus Safety Self Defense Training 09/26/2013 - 09/26/2013 - 10/03/2013 from 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm- Simple, Easy and Effective Self Defense Instruction for females only. For more information contact Kim Nguyen-Finn firstname.lastname@example.org or (956)665-2574.click here for flyer information.
- 08/28/2013 - Parking Lot F1 Partially Blocked off for Bucky's Block Party South side of parking lot F1 located in front of the HPE2 building will be closed on Thursday, August 29, 2013 for the set up of Bucky's Block Party. Overflow parking is available in parking lot N2 located north east of the Edinburg Baseball Stadium. For more information please contact the University Police Department at 956-665-7151.
- 08/20/2013 - Student Parking Permits Ordered Online New student freshmen parking permits ordered online through fall 2013 registration have been mailed and should have already been received by the student. Returning student and upperclassmen parking permits ordered online are in the mailing process and are expected to be received by no later than the first week of fall classes. Returning students may use their current student permit in the meantime, current permits are valid through August 31, 2013. Permits that were requested online after August 12, 2013 must be picked up at the University Police Department ASFC 1.201 or at Payments and Collections SSBL 115. For more information about parking please call 956-665-2738 or send email to email@example.com
- 07/15/2013 - Employee Parking on 07/16/2013 for Governor's Visit-Due to the expected increase in demand for parking during the Governor's visit on July 16th, employees working at the SSB, MASS, UC and ARHU (COAH) buildings may park in parking lot G. Shuttle transportation will be provided to the Visitor's Center and Parking lot B1 (by ARHU) between 7:30 am and 1:00 pm on Tuesday, July 16, 2013. For more information and shuttle departure and arrival times click here.
- UTPA Police Campus Safety Self Defense Training 07/16/2013 to 07/18/2013 from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm- Simple, Easy and Effective Self Defense Instruction for females only. For more information contact Yvette Castro firstname.lastname@example.org or (956)665-3164.click here for flyer information
- 07/03/2013 - East MASS/REIN Drive Closure - The drive leading to the STUN, east of the MASS building is currently closed for construction. Traffic on the drop-off lane in front of the Student Services Bldg and Visitor Center is partially closed off as well allowing only one lane to remain open to reroute traffic back out. Metered parking lot A4 located south of the Student Union will be temporarily closed until the end of construction, drives and parking lot A4 are expected to reopen on Friday, July 5th. Motorists should observe all posted warning, construction, detour and speed limit signs when driving through this area. Alternate routes are recommended when possible to avoid delays. For more information contact Jorge Garza at 956-665-2379.
- 06/17/2013 - W. Schunior St. temporarily closed due to construction - Contractors will close W. Schunior St. between N. 1st Avenue and N. Robert St. in Edinburg, Texas on Monday, June 17th for approximately one week. Road is expected to open on Monday, June 24th, both eastbound and westbound traffic will be affected. Motorists that use this road are advised to observe all posted warning, construction detour and speed limit signs. Alternate routes are recommended to avoid delays. For more information contact Jorge Garza at 956-665-2379. Map
- 04/22/2013 - MyPD App - In the latest effort by the UTPA Police Department to increase the department’s accessibility and communication with the public, has released a smart phone application that will connect users directly to the UTPA Police Department from their smartphone...read more
- 04/19/2013 - 2013 UTPA Police Services Survey -The UTPA Police Department in cooperation with its Community Advisory Board continues to seek improvements in the quality of polices services it provides to you. As part of the effort to improve services, we ask that you share your opinions. Please take a few moments to complete this Survey
- 03/18/2013 - 2013 UTPA Parking and Transportation Services Survey -The Parking and Traffic Advisory Committee would like to invite the UTPA community to participate in a short survey which will help collect data on parking and transportation services on campus. To complete this survey please click on the following link 2013 Survey
- Please join the UTPA Police Department for a Mothers Against Drunk Driving - MADD Awareness/Take Back the Wheel Event in the South Quad (South of Student Union). The event will be from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm on 11-18-11.
- 2011 UTPA Annual Security and Fire Safety Report By Federal Law (the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act), institutions of higher learning are required to produce an annual security and fire safety report. This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University of Texas Pan American. The report also includes fire safety information, descriptions of institutional policies concerning sexual assault, how to report a crime, etc. You may obtain a paper copy of this report by contacting the University Police Department at 956-665-7151 or the Empowerment Zone at 956-665-5375 The report is accessible at the following web link: http://www.utpa.edu/campussafety/Campus_Security_Report.pdf.
- Police Surveys The UTPA Police Community Advisory Board and the University Police Department conducted a Police Services Survey of the campus community at the end of the Spring 2011 semester. The results of the 2011 Police Services Survey and the Analysis Report are now available. The UTPA Police Department would like to thank the members of the Community Advisory Board for their assistance with conducting the survey and publishing this report. We would also like to thank the members of the community that participated in the survey. You can review the entire survey by following the link below.
2011 Police Services Survey and Analysis Report. If you have any questions regarding the survey and report you may contact our Professional Standards Unit, Assistant Chief R. Davidson at email@example.com or by phone at 956-665-2055.
- "Back to School Concert" On August 20th 2011, the University of Texas Pan American Police Department Explorer Program participated at a "Back to School Concert" in McAllen with Iglesia Bautista Tierra Prometida. Our Explorers presented the "Drunk Buster Cart" as well as the "Drunk Buster Goggles" to various age groups, which emphasized the affects of alcohol. Future events will be on campus with Bronc Round Up on August 27th, 2011.
Thanks again to our Explorers for a job well done!
Explorer C. Romero assist with demonstrating the affects of alcohol with our "Drunk Buster Cart"
For more information about becoming apart of the UTPA Police Explorer Program, please send an email to Advisor C. Contreras at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The UTPA Citizen's Police Academy is now accepting applicants!The main purpose to the UTPA Citizens' Police Academy is to provide training and information to citizens so that they may become active participants in helping make our community safer and make informed decisions and judgements about the police department and police activity. There are no fees associated with this program, just your desire to learn more about the police profession and the criminal justice system. For more information, click here. If you would like to enroll in the next UTPA Citizens' Police Academy, email your registration from to: Training Officer- Sgt. H. Flores email@example.com Office: 956-665-7029 Fax: 956-665-7028 OUR NEXT CLASS BEGINS SEPTEMBER 5TH, 2011!
- On August 2, 2011, members of the University of Texas Pan American Police Department Explorer Program participated at the Edinburg National Night Out. Our Explorers presented the "Drunk Buster Goggles" to carious age groups which emphasized the affects of alcohol. Future events will be in San Juan and Mcallen-dates and locations will be provided via Facebook, Twitter, and our website. Thanks again to our Explorers for a job well done! Explorers:
SGT. J. Hinohosa
TCO. Clarissa Conteras
- Tropical Storm Update: UTPA continues to track Tropical Storm Don; np closured expected.Read More...
- UTPA Main Entrance Update -5/20/11 Traffic direction has returned to normal on the circle drive in front of the Visitor's Center. The Information Booth is still closed until relocation and installation is completed. Student Patrol is staffing the area to provide visitor parking passes and assistance during regular business hours.
- Front Entrance Traffic Detour - Continued 5/17/11 The service drive adjacent to University Driver has been reopened for through traffic. However, the installation of the Information Booth at it's new location is still under way. The east end of the circle drive in front of the Student Services Building and Visitor Center will be closed until the completion of this phase of the project. We will continue operating the circle drive as two-way traffic from the west end of the drive to the connecting parking lots. Please remain cautious while driving in this area. Signs, traffic cones, and personnel will be placed to assist with traffic control during this period.
- UTPA Main Entrance - Street Closure & Detour Information 5/16/11 Relocation of the Information Booth continues this week, and will require redirection of some traffic at the front entrance until this phase of the project is able to be completed. Beginning a...t noon on Monday, 05/16/2011, through Tuesday, 05/17/2011, during business hours traffic ...will be redirected. The east end of the circle drive in front of the Student Services Building and Visitor Center will be closed. The service drive between the Information Booth and the east entrance to the circle drive will be closed to through traffic. We will be operating the circle drive as two-way traffic from the west end of the drive to the connecting parking lots. Through traffic on the circle drive will not be possible during the relocation of the Information Booth. Please be cautious while driving in this area. Signs, traffic cones, and personnel will be placed to assist with traffic control during this period.
- Students of the UTPA PD Explorer Post sent a team to the 2nd Annual Rio Grande Valley Explorer Competition in Harlingen, Texas this past weekend (May 7, 2011). Four events were held; Shoot-Don’t Shoot, DWI, Felony and Misdemeanor Traffic Stops. We are proud to announce that our Explorers won in two events: first place in “Shoot-Don’t Shoot” and first place in “Misdemeanor Traffic Stops”!
Please join us in congratulating our students who represented UTPA: Carlos Romero, Victoria Lopez,Thania Gonzalez, Edgar Torres, Ernesto Vasquez.
Pictured from left to right: Ernesto Vasquez, Thania Gonzalez, Victoria Lopez, and Carlos Romero
- Police Services Survey (05/02 through 05/13/2011) The UTPA PD Community Advisory Board would like to invite you to participate in a short survey which will help collect data on Police Services on campus. We're soliciting your views for quantitative and qualitative purposes. To complete this survey go to :https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/utpapd2011
- The Parking and Transportation 05/02/2011, Survey conducted in March has been concluded. Thank you to all who participated! Your input will be beneficial to the work of the Parking and Traffic Advisory Committee, Shuttle Services and the Office of Sustainability. The "Analysis Report and Response Data" may be downloaded
- On April 2nd, 2011 the Explorer Program attended the 2011 (TLEEAA) State Competition in Ft. Worth, TX. read more...
- Follow us on
- Citizens Police Academy 02/10/2011
For more information download Brochure and Schedule.
- Campus Watch "Be On The Lookout"(BOLO)02/08/11 - Theft Suspect
- Texas Department of Public Safety issues Travel Warning into Mexico - 01/28/2011
- Now Hiring "Student Patrol" Community Services Officers (part-time positions available). For More information.
- Personal Security and Safety Awareness Training 02/01/11