The University of Texas-Pan American
 
Office of Human Resources
July 28, 2014
View our Holiday Schedule
We would be delighted to hear your comments.

Campus Map

Employee Benefits

The University of Texas-Pan American has a wide assortment of benefits that employees may be eligible for. Listed below is basic information about the most common benefits available to employees. If you have questions about these or any other aspect of our benefits package, please call Human Resources at 665-2451, or contact us at hroffice@utpa.edu. We will be glad to assist you in any way possible.

Benefits Information

Health Insurance Package

Plan Provider Information Phone
Health Search for Medical Providers 1-866-882-2034
Delta Dental Search for Dentists 1-800-893-3582
Prescription Paid Prescriptions/Medco 1-800-818-0155
SuperiorVision Search for Vision Care Providers 1-800-507-3800

Quick Links to Current Employee UT EGI Insurance Information

UT System Employee Group Insurance (EGI) Main Page

  • Short Term Disability
  • Long Term Disability
  • Long Term Care
  • Life Insurance
  • Accidental Death & Dismemberment
  • UT Flex
  • Superior Vision
  • Delta Dental
  • Publications and Forms
  • U. T. Benefits Cost Worksheet

Worker's Compensation Insurance FAQs

UTPA Employer Paid Fringe Benefits [ Effective 9-1-2013 ]

For budgeting purposes only, you may estimate your department's Fringe Benefit expense by the following categories.

Employee Type Calculation
Benefit Eligible Multiply Total Compensation by each row of benefit rates for Lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and multiply product of $926.81 (or $463.41 if part-time) by the number of months of employment for the fiscal year for Line 6. Sum all products.
Non-Benefit Eligible Multiply Total Compensation by each row or benefit rates for Lines 1, 3, and 4, and sum all products.
Student Multiply Total Compensation by each row or benefit rates for Lines 1, and 4, and sum all products.
Students who work under the Workstudy program during a semester period are exempt from FICA, Line 1.
Line Benefit Rate Limits
1 FICA [ OASI ] 6.20%   (0.062)   Social Security Wage Base³   $117,000
1.45%   (0.0145)   Medicare No Limit for Medicare Tax
7.65%   (0.0765)   Total FICA  
2 Retirement¹ 6.80%   (0.068)   TRS matching Wage Base   $255,000
8.50%   (0.0850)   ORP matching
3 Unemployment
Compensation Insurance²
1.099%   (0.01099) Wage Base   $9,000
4 Workers
Compensation Insurance
0.094%   (0.00094) No Limit
5 Vacation Sick Leave 1.00%   (0.01) No Limit
6 Group Health Insurance
Premium Sharing Rates
Category Employee
Only
Employee
& Spouse
Employee
& Children
Employee
& Famiy
Full Time $497.55 $758.37 $664.33 $926.81
Part Time $248.78 $379.19 $332.22 $463.41

¹ Reporting Entity Pension Surcharge for Reported Retirees

Beginning Sept. 1, 2013, each report month a retiree who retired after Sept. 1, 2005, is working for a TRS-covered employer or a third-party entity for more than the equivalent of four clock hours for each workday in the calendar month, the employer will pay the the pension surcharge. The amount of the pension surcharge is a combination of the employee contribution rate (currently 6.4 percent) and the state contribution rate (6.8 percent for the 2013-2014 school year), for a total of 13.2 percent of the salary paid to that retiree in that report month.

The TRS-Care surcharge will be triggered by the same criteria. If a retiree works for a TRS-covered employer or a third-party entity for more than the equivalent of four clock hours times the number of workdays in the calendar month, the TRS-Care surcharge will be due if the retiree participates in TRS-Care. The amount of the TRS-Care surcharge varies person-to-person based on the level of TRS-Care coverage. The employer may find the amount TRS-Care Surcharge due on an individual member by using the “View Employee Information” tool in TRAQS. This change means that exceeding the limit on one-half time employment will result in the surcharges being owed and the retiree forfeiting that month’s annuity (if the retiree retired after Jan. 1,2011). Source as of 08-08-2013 : http://www.trs.state.tx.us/reporting/documents/update.pdf

² Rate is subject to change without notice to fund unemployment claims.

³ Effective 01-01-13

Miscellaneous Benefits & Links

UT System Retirement Programs
PayFlex (Flexible Spending Accounts)
Family and Medical Leave Act
International Travel Services for UT Employees
UTPA Employee Educational Benefit Program
Employee Assistance Program (1 -866-251-4701)
Didn't find the information you were looking for? Please let us know by calling (956) 665-2451. Or you may email us with your questions or suggestions.
1201 W. University Drive Edinburg, TX 78539-2999
956/665-UTPA  1-866-441-UTPA
UTPA Bronc