WAC & UWC
WAC and the University Writing Center
- A cooperative relationship exists between a writing center and a WAC program.
- Writing center tutors become aware of various philosophies of teaching, learning, and writing as they are embedded in faculty assignments.
- Open relationships between writing center tutors and faculty allow the faculty to articulate their own expectations, and then tutors can improve the assistance offered to students.
- Effective tutoring augments the quality of student writing.
- Close communication between writing center tutors and faculty who incorporate writing into their courses creates an opportunity to shape and reshape conceptions about writing.
University Writing Center Student Benefits
- The UWC offers a relaxed environment where all students, graduate and undergraduate, can receive writing feedback.
- Students can find assistance incorporating source references and use various, discipline-specific citation formats.
- Students have on-site access to university computers featuring Microsoft software.
- Students find assistance in understanding grammar or mechanical questions related to their own areas of weaknesses.
- Faculty can request tutor assistance for students completing special assignments.
University Writing Center and Student Accessibility
- Located in the Academic Services Building, 2.130
- Open four evenings until 8 p.m. during fall and spring terms
- On-line tutoring available on the weekends.
- No appointments are necessary; drop-in tutorials are welcomed.
- Consultants for writing workshops
- Intensive small faculty reading/discussion groups
- Workshops using local faculty may include information on a variety of topics
- Incorporating writing into courses
- Responding to student papers
- Creating strategies to evaluate writing assignments
- Addressing plagiarism
- Designing discipline-specific writing assignments
- Designing essay questions
- Faculty members receive support and assistance in incorporating writing into courses.
- Faculty members share ideas with other faculty about teaching writing strategies.
- Student writing improves across the campus.
- UTPA sends a statement to area high schools and prospective students about the importance of writing in college.