UNIVERSITY WRITING CENTER
SKYPE TUTORIAL: TUTEE SCHEDULING PROCEDURE
The University Writing Center will implement Skype tutoring sessions by appointment as of the 2013 Summer I session. All students wishing to utilize this service must adhere to the following scheduling procedure.
Skype Tutorial Scheduling Procedure:
1. All students must schedule an appointment in order to use the service. To schedule an appointment, contact Barbara Castellano (Phone: 956-665-7977; Office: ACSB 2.130) during normal business hours.
2. Upon scheduling, the student will need to provide the following information:
a. Student ID
c. Class and section of the assignment
d. Description of the assignment
e. A brief summary of writing concerns
f. UTPA E-mail address
g. Device and audio mode
h. Internet connection type and speed
3. An E-mail notification from the Writing Center as firstname.lastname@example.org will be sent to the UTPA E-mail address provided by the tutee within 24 hours. The E-mail will entail a confirmation date and time of the session, the UWC Skype Contact name found via the Add Contact - Search Skype Directory tab (i.e. “UWCUTPA1”), and a PDF attachment of the University Writing Center Skype Tutee Guidelines. All tutees must read the guidelines and make inquiries before or at the beginning of the session.
4. The tutee must E-mail a .doc copy of their work and/or assignment sheet for clarification at least 24 hours before the scheduled session from a UTPA E-mail address.
5. Cancellation or rescheduling of appointments by either the Writing Center or tutee is preferred at least 24 hours before the scheduled session.
6. All tutees must download the Skype application at http://www.skype.com/en/ and create a free Skype account at least 24 hours before the scheduled tutorial session.
7. Skype Support recommends broadband connection or a secure WiFi or mobile plan connection when connecting to Skype to obtain optimal voice and video quality. Avoid satellite internet links and unstable or portable internet connections when using Skype.
8. It is recommended that tutees either have experience with Skype or read the Skype Support page at https://support.skype.com/en/ for application use and access to ensure the highest video and voice quality tutorial session. The Writing Center will not hold workshops on how to use Skype. Tutors and staff may assist students with Skype questions, but students accessing Skype.com for assistance is preferred.