The University Writing Center Mission Statement
The University Writing Center strives to provide a positive writing climate on the UTPA campus by offering writing assistance to the university community. To this end, the UWC mission includes the following goals:
- To serve the UTPA community by assisting students, faculty, and staff to become better writers, critical thinkers, and effective communicators.
- To provide an awareness of the UWC services by offering in-class presentations and workshops, and campus-wide publicity of the UWC.
- To offer face-to-face tutorials for students who need writing feedback, as well as to create a virtual environment through the on-line weekend writing service.
- To encourage Writing Across the Curriculum initiatives through services such as peer tutoring, in-class workshops, and faculty workshop support.
- To assist WAC by housing WAC text resources.
- To provide information, resources, and links related to the writing process through topic-related workshops, the UWC website, and available printed handouts.