SPR15 SAS Sessions Schedule SPR15 SAS Sessions Schedule make an appt steps Get Advised, Make An Appointment Find Your Degree Plan See Your Transferable Coursework


Common UTPA Acronyms

 Back to Top


Quick Links:

Admissions and New Student Services
Records and Registration
Texas Common Application

Back to Top


Where do I go for advisement? 

1)  Entering Freshmen receive advisement during New Student Orientation.

2)  All Engineering and Computer Science majors are advised in their Major Departments by faculty advisors located in the College of Engineering and Computer Science. 

3)  Other continuing Freshmen and Sophomores schedule appointments through the University Academic Advising Center (UAAC) using the Advisement icon in For instructions on how to make an appointment with your UAAC advisor, click here.

4)  Other Colleges assign faculty advisors to Juniors and Seniors through their major department.

Contact the University Academic Advising Center for more information.  956-665-7120.

Back to Top

Career Services Information

Where can I find information about internships, resume building, Part-time or Full time opportunities, or upcoming job fairs?

Back to Top


DegreeWorks is the Official Electronic Degree Plan for UTPA. Follow the instruction below to access DegreeWorks:

  1. Visit
  2. Enter your UTPA Username and Password.
  3. Click on the ASSIST icon, then click on Student Services.
  4. Click on Student Records, then click on DegreeWorks at the bottom of the list.
  5. Click on the DegreeWorks button and follow the remaining instructions.

For more information, use the DegreeWorks Guide

Back to Top

Financial Aid

Please click the link for Financial Aid Information:

Back to Top


How many hours do I need to graduate?
You need at least 120 hours to graduate from the University. Of those hours, at least 51 must be upper division courses (3000 or 4000 level classes).

What is a major/minor?
A major generally consists of a specific field of academic rigor in which the student obtains at a minimum 30 hours of coursework. A minor consists of a minimum of 18 hours of coursework in an academic field different from your major.

Do I really need a minor?
This depends on your major. Some specific fields do not require that you have a minor. For most students, the answer is yes you must have a minor. Discuss this with an advisor.

Can I double major?
Yes, however this depends on your field of study. Check with your College for any restrictions.

Back to Top


Where can I find information about housing?

Back to Top


Can I take 3000/4000 level classes if I am a freshman/sophomore?
These classes are usually for upper classmen such as Jr. & Sr.’s. Check with class department for verification if there are exemptions.

Where and when can I get my Advisement Hold Released?
An advisement hold is released after a student has been advised by a professional staff advisor or a faculty advisor. Mandatory Advisement usually begins two weeks before registration in the Fall and Spring Semesters. Freshmen and Sophomores can identify their advisor by contacting the University Academic Advising Center or by calling 956-665-7120.  Juniors and Seniors are advised by Faculty Advisors assigned through their major department.

Can I get my Advisement Hold Released if I call the department?
No, a department will not release an Advisement Hold by the phone. However, Juniors or Seniors may call their department to schedule an appointment with a Faculty Advisor.  Freshmen or Sophomores may call the Unviersity Academic Advising Center (956)-665-7120 to schedule an appointment  or schedule an appointment through the online form at For instructions on how to make an appointment with your UAAC advisor, click here.

What if I forget my ASSIST UserName and/or Password?
You may contact the Information Technology Helpdesk at 665-2020 or you may obtain information for resetting your password by logging onto and clink on the link for Recover my UTPA account username/password (Self-Service).

How do I know if I am a Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior?
By the number of hours earned: Look at Earned Credit Hours (EHRS) at the end of your unofficial transcript

Freshman 0-29

Sophomore 30-59

Juniors 60-89

Seniors 90+

What if I want to study abroad?
Please click on the link to The Office of International Programs for more information.

Back to Top


The Office of Admissions and New Student Services determines the status of new undergraduate students. Call 665-2479 for more information or review pgs. 29-30 and 56 in the UTPA Catalog to read information on residency requirement.  UTPA 2013-2015 Catalog

Back to Top

Student Services

How can I track my degree completion (DegreeWorks)?
Visit Enter your UTPA Username and Password. Click on the ASSIST icon, then click on Student Services. The degree audit (also called DegreeWorks) may be obtained by going to the Student Records Category and then clicking on DegreeWorks at the bottom of the list and following the remaining instructions.  For more information, use the DegreeWorks Guide 

Are there any tutoring services available?
Yes. Check out the Learning Assistance Center Services  or individual departments for further information.

What if I want to drop a class?
Drop forms may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar or through the Registrar website Remember It is important to understand the consequences before dropping a class. Before you drop, talk with an advisor!

Where can I go to get counseling?
Counseling and Psychological Services is located at the University Center on the 1st floor. Click on the link for more information. Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS)

Are the Student Health services free?
The office visits are free of charge as are most educational services. There are low cost charges for medicines, supplies, and any needed lab tests. Click on the link below for more information.

What about confidentiality at the Student Health Clinic?
All student records and medical files are kept confidential.

Are my transcripts/records confidential?
Yes. The university policy follows FERPA guidelines that will not allow any information to be released unless the student gives permission. Click HERE for FERPA information.

Where can I go to get a transcript?
For an “unofficial” transcript go to and click on Student Services. If you need an “official” transcript you will need to request one at The Office of the Registrar in the Student Services Building Rm. 1.150.

Where do I pay for tuitions and other fees?
Payments and Collections office is located at Room 1.145, Student Services Building. The main function of the Payments & Collections Office is to collect funds that are due to the University: tuition, parking fines, lab debts, graduation fees, and other debts incurred on campus.

Where can I get student organization information?
Check out information at the Dean of Students website: Student Organizations

Back to Top

What is TSI?

Please click on the following link for an explanation.

  (TSI) Texas Success Initiative

Back to Top


What THEA scores will I need in order to meet the College of Education requirements for Blocks?

Students need the following scores on THEA to meet the College of Education admission requirements for Blocks:

Reading 240

Math 230

Writing 240

In addition to the THEA scores, students who wish to apply to the College of Education-Teacher Education Program must complete additional requirements. A checklist of requirements can be found here.

Back to Top

Grade Point Average (GPA)

GPA requirements for good standing?

Students must maintain the minimum cumulative GPA for their classification (below) to be in good academic standing:

Freshman/Sophomore/Junior/Senior................minimum GPA 2.00

Graduate/Doctoral.......................................minimum GPA 3.00

Back to Top