As part of its mission to enhance the institutional capacity of UTPA to conduct health research, STBHDC provides seed funding for UTPA faculty to develop research projects on health or health disparities along the U.S.-Mexico border. Every year, STBHDC annouces request for research proposals.
Projects funded by STBHDC (2010-2011)
- Intra-cellular traffic jam in molecular motors: A possible cause for Alzheimer's disease. PIs: Dr. Baofeng Feng and Dr. Kenichi Maruno (Mathematics).
- Fine scale risk assessment of Chagas Disease transmission on the US-Mexican Border. PIs: Dr. Teresa Feria, Dr. Brian Fredensborg, Dr. Sahotra Sarkar (UT-Austin), and Dr. Virgilio Bocanegra-García (Universidsidad Autónoma de Tamualipas) (Biology).
- An attention training approach for female victims of sexual assault. PI: Dr. Michiyo Hirai (Psychology and Anthropology).
- Optimization of a screening platform for discovery of new antibiotics beneficial to South Texas inhabitants. PI: Dr. James Bullard (Chemistry).
- Addressing health care disparities through the development of affordable anticancer therapeutics. PI: Dr. Joanne Rampersad (Chemistry).