The Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning, a component of the Office of Academic Affairs, supports the mission of the University of Texas-Pan American by providing excellence and leadership fostering undergraduate research and service through each of its units: the Office of International Programs, the Guerra Honors Program, and the Office Undergraduate Research and Service. Each office works collaboratively with other units within the University and the community at large in promoting excellence in teaching, research, creative activity, and public service. The Office of SEEL works cooperatively with the University and the community of the Rio Grande Valley as it prepares students to be socially and globally conscious citizens and transformative leaders.
The Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning provides an exceptional teaching/learning experience, designed to meet the changing needs of our students through the creation of a student centered intellectually stimulating multicultural learning environment that promotes life-long learning. The Office of SEEL envisions being the locus of comprehensive internationalization on the campus of the University of Texas Pan American and a focus of Undergraduate Research and Service Learning augmenting each of the goals of the Division of Academic Affairs.
- (Curriculum/Programs) to provide a variety of quality academic programs grounded in the liberal arts that cultivate active learning, critical thinking, and interdisciplinary perspectives.
- (Faculty) to recruit and retain highly qualified faculty by providing an environment that promotes excellence in teaching, research, service, and student success.
- (Scholarship, Research, and Creative Activities) to facilitate and reward excellence in scholarship, research, and/or creative activities for the enhancement of knowledge that can be shared with the public through presentation, publication, or performance.
- (Service) to encourage and support ongoing professional, university, and community service activities by faculty and students that enhance the quality of life of a multiculturally diverse learning community.
- (Student Access and Success) to provide effective student recruitment, development, and retention programs designed to promote and serve a diverse student population.
- (Planning) and Evaluation) to develop and coordinate an ongoing planning, evaluation, and dissemination process designed to ensure academic excellence.
- (Resources) to identify, increase availability, and ensure appropriate utilization of resources that support academic programs, faculty and students.