I. Scholarships at UTPA
UTPA scholarships are intended to recognize students for their outstanding academic accomplishments and future potential. The awards are based on various prerequisites and are made possible through the generosity of business firms, organizations, individuals, and University endowed funds.These scholarships are awarded to students who have completed a scholarship application by the proper deadline date and who have met the criteria required by the donor.
1. Excellence Scholarship
The UTPA Excellence Scholarships are funded through a variety of memorials and endowments. While the criteria for receiving these scholarships and the amounts of the awards vary, all eligible students are encouraged to apply.
The University scholarship committee selects the recipients on a competitive basis, and funds are administered though the Student Financial Services Office. Scholarships are not renewable and students must apply every year. The criteria for these scholarships are as follows:
• Most are available to all majors with a minimum Grade Point Average of 2.5 and full-time enrollment status
• Available to Undergraduate and Graduate students
• Most require US citizenship or legal permanent resident status. However, International students are still encouraged to apply.
• Awards vary depending on funds.
• Recipients are selected on a competitive basis.
• Scholarships are not automatically renewable; students must re-apply each year
• Priority is given to students who have not received an institutional scholarship
2. Angel Investor Staff Scholarship
• For a UTPA staff member applicant, you must be a full-time staff member of UTPA and enrolled in a minimum of three hours and have at least 12 months of continuous full-time service to UTPA by the application deadline
• For UTPA students non-staff applicants, you must be enrolled as a full-time student of UTPA
• All applicants must have at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.
• All applicants must not be in default on any student loan
Preference will be given to those individuals who have:
• Have applied as an undergraduate student
• Have a current degree plan on file with their major department chair
• Are an undergraduate student pursuing their first bachelor's degree
Include with this application the following:
• Current Transcript
• An essay of no more than 100 words advising the Angel Investor Scholarship Committee about your career goals and why you should receive the scholarship.
For more information about UTPA Scholarships, please contact:
Student Services Building 1.136
1201 W. University Drive
Edinburg, TX 78539-2999
II. Additional UTPA Scholarships
Scholarships offered directly by UTPA departments.
Military Science Department - College of Social and Behavioral Sciences College
The Military Science Department offers $20,000 to all qualifying UTPA Graduate Students who are obtaining a Master’s degree. This includes:
• $450-$500 a month pay/stipend ($5,000 a year x 2 years = $10,000) in addition to the scholarship below;
• Unlimited number of 2-year scholarships (tuition, fees, books) for all students of any master’s program here at UTPA (about $5,000 a year x 2 years = $10,000)
• Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 +
• Pass an Army basic fitness test (run, push-up, sit-up)
• Pass an Army physical fitness examination (we pay through our contracted local physician)
• Are interested in becoming an officer/leader in the Army Reserve, National Guard or Active Duty
For more Information contact Captain Abel Gonzalez (956) 665-3601
III. Off Campus Scholarships
1. General Information
• Where to Search for Scholarships?
• Scholarships Currently Available
• Have a scholarship check or will receive a scholarship check and don’t know what to do?
• Will my scholarship affect or be affected by my financial aid?
2. Some Off Campus Scholarships
• South Texas Academic Rising Scholars (STARS)
• The Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF)
• National Society of Hispanic MBAs (NSHMBA)
3. External Scholarships
• External Scholarships