Students whose native language is not English must complete and have submitted the scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
1. TOEFL exempt countries
- American Samoa
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Grand Cayman
- New Zealand
- Sierra Leone
- United Kingdom
- U.S.Pacific Trust
- United States (other than Puerto Rico)
2. Other Exemptions
- Students who have recently and successfully completed at least 30 hours of university level academic studies in one of the countries listed.
- Lifetime residents of Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), New Zealand, United Kingdom, or the United States (other than Puerto Rico).
- Students who have completed the Advanced Level of the Intensive Program from the English Language Institute (ELI) at UTPA may submit their certificate of completion with their application.
3. Minimum Score
- Minimum score of 500 paper-based
- Minimum score of 61 internet-based
Note: some programs require a higher score, please consult the program requirements section for more information.
University Testing Services
- Only test scores that are received directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS) or from the UTPA Testing Center are acceptable for admission purposes. Since it normally takes 8-10 weeks for test results to arrive at UTPA from the ETS, you should plan to take the tests well in advance of the appropriate application deadline to insure that scores will arrive on time.
- UTPA will not accept residual TOEFL scores from exams taken at another institution.
- If the test date was more than two years ago, the applicant must retake the examination and request that an official report from ETS be sent to UTPA.
- The test bulletin of information and registration forms are usually available at American embassies and consulates, offices of the United States Information Agency, or online at www.ets.org.
- The institution code to forward your scores to the University of Texas-Pan American is 6570.
The University Testing Services provides a variety of Testing services for new students, currently enrolled students and the community University Testing Services
Students whose native language is not English will be expected to provide test scores for either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to the Graduate School. UT-Pan American will not accept residual IELTS exams taken at another institution. Students scoring below 500 on the TOEFL and below a 5.5 on the IELTS will not be eligible for admission.
For information visit: IELTS