Office of Graduate Studies


Current Immigration Documents

All international students must submit a current copy of your valid passport so that we may ensure that the spelling of your name is consistent on all immigration and university documents.

  • Once approved for admission the OIAS will issue an I-20 which you will need to take to the nearest U.S. Consulate and apply for a student visa (detailed instructions will be included with the I-20).
  • For students who plan to attend on a visa status other than F-1 or F-3 student status, proof of that status is required. Include copies of all immigration documents.
  • If you have applied for U.S. Residency but have not yet received it you must attach copies of immigration documents.
  • If you are in the U.S. but currently have no legal status (undocumented) please note so on the application. Please contact us as you may qualify for in-state tuition based on Texas Senate Bill 1528.
  • Information and documents needed to obtain a student visa will be sent to you once you have been accepted to UTPA



* To learn more about international admissions at UTRGV call 888.882.4026 or email