Office of Graduate Studies

Establishing Texas Residency

Under Texas State Law, an applicant or enrolled student is classified as a resident of Texas, a non resident, or a foreign student. Residency for admission and tuition purposes at a public college or university in Texas is different from residency for voting or taxing purposes.

In order to qualify as a Texas resident, an individual must reside in Texas for 12 continuous months and establish domicile in Texas the 12 month prior to census date. An applicant or student who is claimed as a dependent on a parent’s most recent federal tax return will be classified based on the parent’s qualification for residency.

A student’s residency classification is based on information from his/her admission application. If an applicant or student is classified as a nonresident and wishes to be reclassified as a resident, it is necessary to submit the Residency Questionnaire prior to census date of the semester in which they are seeking reclassification.

In order to establish residency for a student or applicant, two or more of the following items must be used as proof. The applicant or student will need to determine whether he/she thinks there is sufficient documentation to prove residency. Documents must cover a period of more than 1 year.

  • Proof of Income
  • Utility Bill
  • Rent or Lease Contract
  • Deed of Trust

The Residency Regulations for the State of Texas can be found at the College for Texans Residency Information Page.

Complete tuition/admission residency regulations for the State of Texas can be found at the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Website.


The University of Texas-Pan American
Office of Graduate Studies
Marialice Shary Shivers Bldg. 1.158

1201 W. University Drive
Edinburg, Texas 78541-2999