Office of Graduate Studies

Financial Aid for Graduate Students

Graduate Applicants or Students interested in receiving financial aid assistance must have:

• Clear admittance into the graduate program pursuing

• Must be enrolled for at least 6 graduate hours or more per semester

Note: Students taking courses for professional improvement, certifications and pos bac students are not eligible for federal or state based financial aid.

I. Grants

1. Graduate Tuition Assistance Grant (GTAG)

GTAG is a need based grant awarded to students who demonstrate financial need as defined on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students will be awarded until all available funds are exhausted. It is recommended that students complete their FAFSA prior to April 1st Priority Deadline to increase their potential for receiving the GTAG.

2. Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG)

The Texas Public Educational Grant (TPEG) is an institutional grant for graduate students with exceptional financial need. A TPEG does not have to be repaid.

A student can receive between $100 and $1,000 of a TPEG at UT - Pan American a year depending when the student applied for aid. There is no guarantee every eligible student will be able to receive a TPEG; awards are based on the availability of funds.

A key factor in being awarded TPEG is applying early. Students who complete their FAFSA by the March 1st Priority Deadline increase their opportunity to receive limited funding awards, such as TPEG, for the Fall/Spring semesters.

Students interested in receiving limited funding awards, such as TPEG, for Summer are advised to complete a Summer Notification Form prior to the February 15th Summer Priority Deadline.


3. Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant program provides grants of up to $3,964.40 per year to students who agree to teach for four years at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income facilities and to meet other requirements.  Eligible high-need areas in the master’s program include Reading Specialist, Special Education, Bilingual Education and Math and Science programs.  For more information visit the UTPA Financial Aid Website: TEACH Grant .

Click here to read the TEACH Grant flyer.

II. Loans

1. Stafford Loan

Federal Stafford Loans are a major form of self-help aid and are available through the Federal Family Educational Loan Program. Stafford loans must be repaid after you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment.

The maximum amount that may be borrowed under the Subsidized Stafford Loan Program 8,500 as long as you do not exceed your cost of attendance.


2. Subsidized Stafford Loan

Graduates must be enrolled at least half-time. You must demonstrate financial need as determined by the information provided on the FAFSA.

For Subsidized Stafford Loans, the federal government pays the interest while you are enrolled in school at least half-time and during grace period. The interest rate is variable for new borrowers, with a maximum of 8.25%. Borrowers who currently have 7%, 8%, or 9% Stafford Loans will continue at the same rates. These low interest loans are made by federal and state government, banks, savings and loans, credit unions and other commercial lenders who participate in the program.

3. Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (UNSUB)

Graduates must be enrolled at least half-time. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans are not based on need, although you must file the FAFSA to be considered.

The interest rate is variable with a maximum of 8.25%. Interest will be charged from the time the loan is disbursed to you, until it is paid in full. You can choose to pay the interest while you are in school or allow it to accumulate. However, allowing it to accumulate will increase the total amount you have to repay.

4. Grad Plus Loan

The Federal Graduate PLUS Loan is an unsubsidized loan for graduate and professional students. The borrower is responsible for all interest that accrues. The program allows a graduate student to borrow on his/her own behalf up to the cost of attendance minus estimated financial assistance.

Borrower Eligibility:

• Must be a Graduate or Professional student enrolled at least half-time per semester

• Must complete the FAFSA.

• Must first apply for your maximum loan eligibility in Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans before the PLUS can be awarded.

• Parents of Graduate students will not be eligible to borrow the loan. The student will be the borrower.

• The borrower or endorser must be credit worthy in order for the lender to approve the loan. Plus Loan borrowers are required to pass a credit check. Borrowers cannot be 90 days or more delinquent on the repayment of any debt.

5. Perkins Loan

Students who would like to be considered for the Federal Perkins Loan must request it by filling out a "Revision Request" form. The "Revision Request" may be downloaded from the forms section of Student Financial Services homepage.

A Federal Perkins Loan is low-interest (5 percent), fixed rate, subsidized loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need. The Federal Perkins Loan awards are made through UTPA's Office of Student Financial Services and UTPA is the lender. This loan is made available through government funds and must be repaid. To be eligible for this loan, a student must be enrolled at least six credit hours per semester. Because the amount of federal funding is limited, UTPA will only give consideration of awarding the Federal Perkins Loan to students who demonstrate high financial need. Priority is given to students who have previously received a Perkins Loan.


For more information about Grants and Loans, please contact:

Student Financial Services

Student Services Building 1.192

1201 W. University Drive

Edinburg, TX 78541-2999

(956) 665-2501 Federal School Code: 003599