This Executive Practice Management Certificate Program is designed for healthcare practice managers including but not limited to Physicians, PAs (Physician Assistants), FNPs (Nurse Practitioners), Pharmacists, and Mental Health Practioners. This program is offered by UTPA Continuing Education at the UTPA McAllen Teaching Site. This curriculum is designed to prepare participants to become effective business owners and executive managers within their medical practices and focuses on the critical components of business ownership not taught within the traditional medical education programs.
Upon completion of this program, participants would have attained knowledge to meet the following learning objectives:
- Develop an action plan for building efficiency in the medical practice
- Develop skills to analyze and control practice overhead, debt, and equity
- Define and summarize their leadership role, personality style and communication skills managing conflict as a practice owner and employer
- Build a team that reflect and share the practice mission, vision and goals
- Understanding the information technology issues as they relate to practice management and learn how to effectively select and implement the best practice management tool as well as EMR (Electronic Medical Records)
The learning objectives above will be incorporated into six modules as follows:
- Practice Management
- Professional Responsibility
- Financial Management & Accounting
- IT & Business Operations
- Human Resources
- Marketing Healthcare Practice
*Participants need to complete all 6 modules listed above to receive the certificate of completion for the program. However, the program is flexible enough to allow people to register and attend any module that is of interest to them if they do not intend to obtain the certificate of completion for the entire program.
The Legal Issues and Risk Management are woven into each module to provide a full range of knowledge in all aspects of Practice Management.
Continuing Medical Education (CMEs) units for this program are approved by the University of Texas-San Antonio Medical School CME Department.
About the Program
This non-credit certificate program is carefully designed to be a comprehensive learning experience that bridges the knowledge gap from "clinician" to "business owner". This Course is an extensive, hands-on, 6-module program with each module spread out over three weeks with 3-hr long in-class sessions on each Saturday afternoon, as well as a supplemental online web course “eCommunity,” that is solely customized to medical practice management. With the goal of increasing physicians’ business acumen and skills, this innovative program teaches physicians and other healthcare practice managers the critical aspects of finance, operations and HR management. From buying, building or becoming an Associate, to debt reduction through overhead control, and wealth accumulation for practice transitions; this program encompasses a curriculum customized to executive physician practice owners.
Top Five Reasons to Register for this Program:
- To obtain the business (legal, financial, operational) skills needed to run a practice.
- To obtain the leadership skills to be an effective leader, manager and physician to a team.
- To acquire the knowledge needed to oversee practices and manage associate physicians.
- To fill the needed gaps with a formal business education that is not taught in medical school or residency programs.
- To learn and implement efficiencies in practice management.
Topics within this program are divided into modules with each module spread out over a three week period (conveniently scheduled to accommodate busy lifestyles). Instructional methods include lectures, hands-on workshops, guest lectures, and online supplemental learning between meeting dates. Physicians are pro-actively involved in the learning process and development of applicable projects/deliverables that can be implemented into their medical practices immediately. Concepts of basic accounting/bookkeeping, practice financials, employment law, marketing, staffing, sales, forecasting, communications, legal compliance, and building practice efficiency serve as primary content for this course. The certificate program may include a "field trip" or "project" that is designed to help gain overall perspective of project management with a pass/fail grade.
Upon Completion of this course, the successful participant will be able to:
- Define and understand the medical career opportunities and legal ownership available to physicians.
- Analyze and quantify the major costs and processes associated with building, buying or renovating a physician practice.
- Develop an action plan for building efficiency in the medical practice.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, estimate and develop a Business Plan, Staffing Plan, Marketing Analysis and Plan, Sales Forecasting Plan, Practice Budget, as well as, Employee, Clinical and Operating Manuals.
- Develop skills to analyze and control practice overhead, debt, and equity.
- Define and summarize their leadership role, personality style and communication skills, managing conflict as a practice owner and employer.
- Build a team and reflect and shares the practice mission, vision and goals.
- Formulate and evaluate practice financial documents through the use of practice financial data and bookkeeping software.
- Understand the information technology issues as they relate to practice management.
- Learn about how to effectively select and implement the best practice management tool as well as Electronic Medical Records (EMR) options.
- Identify, integrate and manage the requirements of Stark Laws, and workers’ rights.
- Gain an understanding of the legal and human resource issues such as staffing, salaries and training.