Espanol Apply Today

Border Commuter Visa F-3, I-20 Form

The Immigration and Naturalization Service announced an interim rule to allow Mexican and Canadian commuter students to study on a part-time basis at schools located within 75 miles of the United States border. International students who wish to study at the ELI must apply for this visa. The English Language Institute is authorized to issue the Certificate of Eligibility-I-20 Form needed to obtain an F-3 visa for English study. The I-20 form will only be issued after an application for admission has been received and the ELI has verified that all requirements have been fulfilled.

Border commuter students must meet the following criteria to be eligible to obtain a Form I-20 for authorization to continue in part-time study:

  • A national of Canada or Mexico who maintains an actual residence, and a place of abode in the foreign national’s country of nationality
  • Attending a school located within 75 miles of the border
  • Registered as a border commuter student
  • Enrolling in a full course of study on a part-time basis.

Students may pick up the I-20 form in the ELI office or request that it be sent by registered mail. Students must take the Certificate of Eligibility, I-20 Form, two photos, the bank statement and a valid passport to the corresponding American Embassy or Consulate.  F-3 visas can only be issued at the American Consulate in Matamoros, Tamaulipas. The American Consulate in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon will not issue F-3 visas.  We recommend that the student call their American Consulate to ask if they need further documentation. You may also visit the SEVIS website for more information and requirements.