In an effort to create a greener, more environmentally friendly campus and to reduce printing costs to the university, the UTPA Library has teamed up with the Division of Information Technology to unify our printing policies. The Library has established a quota system similar to the CSS Computing Labs'. The Specific policies for the library are:UTPA Library Printing Policies
- Each student, staff, and faculty member will have a 250 page print credit quota per semester in the Library Computer Labs. This allocation is in addition to the print credit quota for students in the CSS Computing Labs.
- Each UT Pan American Retirees Association Member (PARA) will have a 50 page print credit quota per semester in the Library Computer Labs.
- A single page, one-sided print job will count as one print credit.
- A single page, double-sided print job will count as one print credit.
- As many pages can be printed at one time as needed, up to the number of print credits remaining in the patron's account for that semester.
- There are no print credits for misprints.
- Students can request an additional 50 print credits per semester for printing in the Library Computer Labs by filling out the online print credits request form.
- Unused print credits for Fall and Spring semesters will roll-over to the following semester. Any unused print credits will expire at the end of the last Summer semester.
- Minimester & Summer semesters combined act as one semester.
Ink Jet Color Printing
Patrons must provide their own matte or glossy photo paper when using the GIS/Media Lab's color inkjet photo printers. Printing on copy paper or other non-photo quality paper is not allowed, because these printers are intended for photo and graphics printing only. Regular text printing is not allowed on these printers. Patrons are allowed to print one copy of their final projects. Printing copies of pamphlets, invitations, flyers, etc. is not allowed. Patrons will need to contact a print shop for that kind of printing.
Color Laserjet Printing
The GIS/Media Lab color LaserJet printer will only be utilized for printing biology slides and special projects approved by the GIS/Media Lab Supervisor. Students are allowed to print one color copy of title pages, charts, graphs, or images that are part of a research paper. For student biology slides or any other school related slide printing, the slides must be in .jpeg, .tiff or .bmp format. In order to have slides printed, students are required to bring their images saved on a CD, thumb drive, or memory stick. Slides will be printed with nine slides per 8x10 sheet of paper. Students are not allowed to print multiple sets of slides for their classmates unless their classmates are present and have signed in at the GIS/Media Lab. If the slides are based in PowerPoint, six slides per 8x10 sheets will be printed. Only one copy of each slide set will be printed.
GIS/Media plotter printing is limited to enrolled students, faculty, and staff for class related projects. Enrolled students, faculty, and staff are allowed 4 linear feet of plotter printing per semester at no charge. If faculty or staff needs additional printing beyond the 4 linear feet per semester allowance, it will be charged at a rate of $5.00 per linear foot. Only one type of plotter paper will be made available.
Students, faculty and staff need to present a valid barcoded UTPA ID. Printing will be done on a first come first served basis as time permits. Plotter printing is a time consuming technical process and patrons are encouraged to submit their projects at least 24 hours before their deadline. The GIS/Media Lab will not be responsible for missed project deadlines on the part of patrons. The GIS/Media Lab supervisor can consider other projects for faculty or staff using plotter printing on a cost recovery basis of $5.00 per linear foot. Printing multiple copies will not be permitted
Plotter printing will be available from Monday - Thursday from 8:00AM - 7:00PM, Friday from 8:00AM - 5:00PM, and Sunday 1:00PM - 7:00PM. The Summer Academic session hours are Monday - Thursday from 8:00AM - 7:00PM, Friday from 8:00AM - 3:00PM, and Sunday 1:00PM - 7:00PM.
For more information visity the GIS/Media Lab website at http://utpa.libguides.com/media_lab