The Office of International Programs offers students the possibility to study abroad during a semester, or up to a year long in a Foreign University. If we do not have an agreement established already with a University in your country of interest, we can create a program based on your academic needs.
Step 1: Meet your advisor
Meet with an OIP Advisor. Plan your program, Review deadlines & financial responsibilities.
Step 2: Follow the checklist
Follow the checklist and complete the Student Application Package (don't forget the signatures)
- Fill out the Application Form
- Write a letter of intent explaining your purpose and goals for the program you wish to enroll in. Limit 300 words.
- Get a letter of recommendation (from a UTPA faculty member)
- Official transcript from the Registrar's Office in a sealed envelope
(Undergraduate: minimum 30 credits hours and 2.0 GPA / Graduate: 3.0 GPA)
- Get copy of the Transfer Evaluation Form for foreign institutions
- 2 passport pictures (2 x 2in.)
- Copy of passport
- Copy of visa (if applicable)
- Study Abroad Liability Form
- Participation Approval Form (must be signed by the Dean of Students, Course Instructor, and Academic Advisor before meeting again with your OIP Advisor)
- Release and Indemnification Agreement (Dean of Students Liability Form)
- Copy of the Foreign Student Application Form
- Copy of the Foreign Program Acceptance Letter
- UTPA Long Term Study Abroad Student Cost Sheet
- Pay NON-REFUNDABLE $125 deposit for study abroad application fee
- Student International Medical Insurance Card is issued before departure by OIP/Medex