Incoming Exchange Students / Visiting Programs
We offer students interdisciplinary programs and customized/special certificate programs. OIP also invites Faculty from our partner and affiliated universities to participate as a Visiting Scholar/Researcher during a short or long term semester. The Office of International Programs (OIP) also offers programs to UTPA faculty who would like to teach at any of our partner or affiliated universities for a short or long term semester.
A different program that we also have available to Faculty is the Fulbright Program.
This program offers a variety of courses from the seven colleges listed below during the Fall/Spring and Summer Sessions:
- Arts & Humanities
- Business Administration
- Health Sciences & Human Services
- Science & Mathematics
- Engineering & Computer Science
- Social & Behavioral Sciences
Individual, Exchange & Visiting Scholars
All applications must be submitted to the Office of International Programs (OIP) for review. OIP will work with the Office of International Admissions & Services (OIAS) to complete the application process. Students will be notified when the application process is complete.
|Spring||Summer I||Summer II||Fall|
Office of International Programs (OIP)
|March 1||April 1||June 1|
|Office of International Admissions & Services (OIAS)||
|April 1||May 1||July 1|
Now accepting applications for Spring
Step 1: Complete Applications
- Fill out the Exchange Visitor Student Application Form.
- Complete the OIAS Exchange Visitor Student Application with the accompanied documents and/or dependents
- English Proficiency Test Scores TOEFL/IELTS
- Minimum acceptable total score for the TOEFL is 500 for paper/pencil test,
173 for computer-based test, and 61 for internet-based test.
- The minimum acceptable score for the IELTS is 6.
- Recent Financial Documents (dated within last three months)
- Copy of Identification Pages of Passport
- Proof of Medical Insurance Coverage
- Copies of any U.S. Visas, I-94, and/or other documents (only if you are currently in the U.S.)
- Both applications and supporting documents are submitted to the Foreign University Representative.
- Check your University's deadlines.
Step 2: Foreign University mails out
- The Foreign University Representative forwards both applications with supporting documents to the OIP office within the applications deadlines
- OIP office reviews the application and supporting documents. If complete, the packet is forwarded to the OIAS office. If incomplete, the Foreign University Representative and the Exchange Visitor Student are notified of the incomplete status and required documentation must be sent.
This process takes 7-10 days once all information is received
Step 3: OIAS Office
- OIAS office reviews the application and verifies documentation. If appropriate, a record is created in the SEVIS database and DS-2019 Form is issued. The DS 2019 Form is routed to the OIP office.
- The OIAS office will not issue a DS-2010 Form unless all required supporting documents are provided.
- OIAS will take approximately 4-6 weeks to process all information once is received.
- OIP office reviews the information and forwards Form DS-2019 to Exchange Foreign University Representative and/or Exchange Visitor Student. (OIP will forward within 4-5 work days to Representative and/or Student. Mail out time may vary.)
- Exchange Visitor receives the Form DS-2019, pays the SEVIS fee, and contacts the U.S. Consulate/Embassy to schedule a visa appointment.
- Time may range from weeks to months and is dependant on the Exchange Visitor Student and the consulate appointment.