Types of Scholar Programs
1) Short-term scholar
A professor, research scholar, or person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at research institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited educational institutions, or similar type of institutions.
2) Professor (Individuals brought in under a college require prior approval by Department Chair, Dean, and Provost)
An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting a post-secondary accredited educational institutions, museums, libraries, or similar types of institutions. A professor may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsor.
3) Research Scholar
An individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited educational institutions, or similar types of institutions. The research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor.
4) International Visitor
An individual who is a recognized or potential leader, selected by the Department of State for consultation, observation, research, training, or demonstration of special skills in the United States.
Apply Now: Incoming Faculty Scholar Program
Invite your scholar to UTPA!
- Upon receipt of J1 Application-submit packet to Office of International Programs (OIP) with required documents
- OIP will review, ensure completion of packet
- OIP will forward to Office of International Admissions and Services (OIAS)
- OIAS review - immigration & SEVIS(Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) (approx. 4 weeks)
- Upon OIAS approval – packet and documents forwarded to OIP
- Visual Compliance Check is conducted
- OIP will contact and forward packet to Sponsor Department Supervisor
- Will mail documents to scholar
- Department begins to process MOE (if applicable), ID, Key Request, Residence Life information, etc...
- Scholar arranges Visa appointment
- Scholar reports to OIP
- OIP secures appointment for scholar with OIAS
- Scholar reports to host Department/Supervisor
- Exit process with Department (return keys, items, etc.)
- Exit process with OIP (report exit to visual compliance, U.S. State Dept., etc)
- Exit process with OIAS (immigration, etc.)