Development Associate — La Posada Providencia
The Development Associate is responsible for assisting the Program Director, the Board of Directors and the Development Staff (in Missouri) to implement fund raising strategies needed to support La Posada Providencia, an emergency shelter, in San Benito, Texas (a sponsored ministry of the Sisters of Divine Providence).The fundraising levels to be raised are determined by the local Board of Directors. This position reports to the Director of Development in Bridgeton, Missouri.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
These duties and responsibilities include, and are not necessarily limited to, the following:
1. Assist in the development of a strategic long-term fundraising plan involving the Board, staff, and volunteers;
2. Analyze and make recommendations to the Director of Development on revenue producing strategies;
3. Participates with the Director of Development and Board Finance Committee to develop agency budget and
proposed grant income side of ministry budget;
4. Conducts research to identify grant funding opportunities with community, corporate, and independent foundations as well as with government grantmakers. Research is extensive, utilizing on-line databases and websites, public libraries and industry publications;
5. Collaborates with La Posada Program Director and staff about identified grant opportunities to confirm eligibility requirements can be met for requested funding for program projects, operating and capital needs.
7. Develops and maintains annual grant proposal calendar for timely submission of all proposals, accountability
reports and other information requested by grant makers;
8. Writes and prepares grant applications and proposals for review by Missouri development staff to meet grant deadlines and requirements. Collaborates with Program Director to develop and prepare program budgets, goals, objectives, activities, evaluation criteria, and data tracking requirements for proposals. Assembles needed
supporting documentation for each proposal (current IRS documentation, financial audit, board member listings, funding history, ministry budget and budget narrative, staff job descriptions, staff resumes, etc.) Creates and maintains grant files;
9. Responsible for grant maker acknowledgment practices, ensuring thank you or thank you anyway letters are sent in a timely and appropriate manner. Notifies Treasurer and database manager of grants awarded. Creates contact opportunities (for relationship-building) with grantmakers through updates, Christmas cards, etc.;
10. Collaborates with program director to ensure compliance with grant maker requests for reports on use of funds, and/or other accountability tools as required by grant makers;
11. Research and recommend strategies for special events and increasing individual giving campaign;
12. Assist Program Director in all aspects of development including making presentations to local civic and social organizations;
13. Create and implement strategy of community networking to raise public awareness of La Posada;
14. Organize and maintain efficient operational procedures and record-keeping such as recording donations and receipting gifts in a timely manner;
15. Assist Program Director and Director of Development in all aspects of Board governance including: preparation of materials for board meetings, notification of Board members concerning meetings, supporting the Board in the implementation of processes concerning annual funding goals, board solicitations and nominations process;
16. Interview current clients, transcribe information, take photos for use by the Communications Specialist;
17. Work collaboratively and as a team member with staff and many other constituents and stakeholders to design and drive new philanthropic directions and priorities; and
18. Recommend professional best practices to the Program Director and Board.
· Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience
· Three years experience in fundraising
· Donor database experience (preferably e-Tapestry) along with PC proficiency
· Excellent organizational, research, communication and writing skills
· Flexibility, the ability to work under deadlines and to manage multiple projects simultaneously
· Bilingual (English-Spanish) ability important.