Admissions Information and Applicant Requirements - Transitional Applicants
The CPP offers enrollment to only a select group of students annually. Students interested in applying should do so with the knowledge that they will be required to return to UTPA and the Rio Grande Valley for the third and fourth years of the pharmacy curriculum. Students with an interest in completing the entire pharmacy curriculum in Austin or the fourth pharmacy year at one of the other experiential regions should apply directly to the UT Austin College of Pharmacy (COP).
Transitional applicants are students who have completed the majority of their pharmacy pre-requisites at UTPA, and are ready to begin their pharmacy education. Majority is defined as at least the final two long semesters (fall/spring) of pharmacy pre-requisites at UTPA. This includes students who will be completing a degree or have received a degree from UTPA, as long as the majority of the pharmacy pre-requisites have been completed at UTPA. Students who have completed their coursework at another academic institution should apply directly to the UT Austin COP.
To be eligible for admittance, transitional applicants:
- Must complete all of the pharmacy pre-requisites as required by the UT Austin COP on or before summer I semester of the matriculation year (i.e. summer I 2015 for a start date at the UT Austin COP of fall 2015)
- Agree to return to UTPA and the Rio Grande Valley for the third and fourth pharmacy years;
- Agree to interview on the UT Austin campus;
- Agree to abide by all other CPP requirements as per the Memorandum of Agreement.
In order to be competitive, transitional applicants should meet or exceed the following academic criteria:
- Minimum GPA of 3.5 in all math, science, and English pharmacy pre-requisites;
- Completion of the Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT) within the past three years and attainment of the following scores: ≥ 75% composite, ≥ 50% in each sub-score, and ≥ 3.0 writing score).
Lastly, transitional applicants should provide in the application, resume or personal statement documentation of the following:
- Leadership abilities and experiences;
- Participation in community service or other volunteer activities;
- Pharmacy work experience (volunteer or employment).
Transitional applicants will need to complete three (3) applications: PharmCAS, UT Austin COP Supplemental Application, and CPP. Please review each application carefully and supply all of the required information by the stated deadlines.
PharmCAS and UT Austin COP Supplemental Application each require a fee.
Except for the additional application to the CPP and the interview site, the admissions process is identical to that required for any student interested in applying to the UT Austin COP. By applying through the transitional pathway, all applicants are agreeing that the only interview for the UT Austin COP be the one afforded on the UT Austin campus.
Prior to making an admissions decision applicants are encouraged to visit the UT Austin campus and the COP in order to appreciate the academic environment.
Please select the Application Process and Forms link (to the left) for directions on how to apply.