In order to apply for admission, please submit all the requirements listed on the link below by the application deadline of FEBRUARY 1st. Be sure to start the application process early!
International students should visit utpa.edu/graschool for additional requirements.
Master of Science in Occupational Therapy Admission Requirements
Note: To be considered for admission to the MS in Occupational Therapy program, applicants must submit 2 applications:
- UTPA Graduate School Completed ApplicationThe MS in Occupational Therapy Graduate School application must be current. A 2012 application may not be submitted for 2013. You must reapply.
- MS in Occupational Therapy Completed ApplicationApplicants are required to submit their application to OTCAS. Applicants are responsible for tracking the receipt of their application materials and ensuring submission of all required & verified documents. Only applicants who submit completed applications with all required materials will be considered for potential entrance into the program.
No Admission Statement
An applicant not meeting the minimum graduate admission requirements for the University or the admission criteria for the graduate degree will not be admitted. Admission to the graduate program is not guaranteed. Applicants not admitted may follow the appeal process through the department chair or program director, the dean, then the Vice Provost of Graduate Studies whose decision is final.
Applicant must show evidence of satisfactory completion of the following courses. All required prerequisite courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the February 1st application deadline will not be considered.
- Anatomy & Physiology I (lecture & lab) 4 credit hours
- Anatomy & Physiology II (lecture & lab) 4 credit hours
- Basic Statistics 3 credit hours
- Psychology of Lifespan 3 credit hours
- Abnormal Psychology 3 credit hours
- Anthropology or Sociology 3 credit hours
- Medical Terminology 1, 2, or 3 credit hours
- Biomechanics 3 credit hours
- General Physics I (Lecture & Lab)
- Technical Writing
If there are questions about a prerequisite(s), fax or email the course description(s), catalog description(s)of course(s), or syllabus(i) to the OT Department (Fax: 956/665-2476 or email at email@example.com). Be sure to provide your contact information.
- Waiver(s): A waiver and/or substitution of any required prerequisite course may be petitioned to the Chair of the Admissions Committee. You may do this by providing a written request for a waiver along with supporting documents, your contact information, a copy of the course catalog or syllabus and transcripts to the OT department (Fax: 956/ 665-2476 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A grade of "D" or "F" will not be accepted for any prerequisite courses.
- Students may re-take prerequisite courses. The grades for the courses will be averaged together if they are taken within the 5 year time frame. If more than 5 years has elapsed then grades outside the 5 year time frame will not be averaged.