The HHMI Undergraduate Science Education Program at UTPA invites applications for participation in a comprehensive undergraduate research experience in all STEM fields: Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.
Every two and a half academic years twelve students will be selected. The student will choose a mentor from one of the STEM field. The program offers a stipend of $3,200 for summer research; the student will receive support for the next two years dependent upon good standing in the program and funding. In addition, funds for research supplies and travel will be provided.
Students pursing a career in one STEM fields and planning to go to graduate school will be given priority in the selection process.
More information about the program and a list of participating faculty and their research interests is available with Martha Salazar (Room MAGC 2.402) or Dr. Rampersad (Room SCIE 3.118).
- Must be a full-time student in good academic standing , have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must be classified as a sophomore and/or have an anticipated graduation date at least 2 ½ years from summer 2015
- Must commit to work in for 10 weeks in summer 2015 (35 hrs/wk); potential to receive continual support for the next two years depended upon good standing in the program and funding
- Must register for the GRE prep course (at no cost) and take the GRE exam
- Must attend all HHMI data reviews and seminar series
- Must participate in all academic and social cohort activities
The application process includes:
- HHMI Research Fellow application forms are available on the web at http://www.utpa.edu/hhmi
- A personal statement (700 word limit). Statement must include: career goals, how the HHMI program can help them achieve their goals and how long they can commit to the program
- Academic Transcripts and Resume
- Academic record
- Oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to research at UTPA and beyond
- Leadership qualities
- Long term career plans