Welcome to the Department of Educational Leadership
The Department of Educational Leadership at the University of Texas- Pan American offers Doctoral and a Master’s degree. The Doctor of Education degree emphasizes preparation for leadership careers in a variety of settings in the field of education. Credentialing programs are offered as part of the Master’s degree for educators interested in pursuing administrative leadership roles.
The Department also offers credentialing opportunities for individuals with earned Master degrees from other disciplines or accredited universities. There are two options for obtaining the principal certificate under the program: a) the summer accelerated program b) the traditional track. An accelerated credentialing program is also offered in the summer.
Students are taught and guided by a faculty cadre with experience in school leadership. The diverse faculty includes former principals, superintendents and university presidents. Their experience and expertise is recognized nationally. Former graduates from the Department of Educational Leadership are employed as lead teachers, assistant principals, principals, curriculum assistants, central office administrators, superintendents and university faculty members.
The Department of Educational Leadership offers the following programs:
- Doctorate of Education in Educational Leadership
- Master of Education in Educational Administration Traditional or *ONLINE*
- Principal Certification
- Superintendent Certification
Why a graduate degree in Educational Leadership at UTPA??...Below are just a few reasons...
- The majority of principals and assistant principals in the Rio Grande Valley are UTPA graduates.
- The faculty publish in national and international journals.
- The faculty present at state, national and international conferences.
- The faculty are former teacher leaders, assistant principals, principals and superintendents.
- The faculty have been recognized as researchers, mentors and community advocates.