Admission to the Program
Applying for Admission to the UTPA Educational Leadership Doctoral Program (ELDP) is a two-step process. Applicants will apply to the graduate school separately from the doctoral program. Students must have all admissions data filed in the doctoral program office by a designated date announced in the program Web site.
In order to apply for Graduate School admissions, please submit all the requirements listed on the link below by the application deadline.
International students should visit utpa.edu/gradschool for additional requirements.
Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership – Admission Requirements.
College of Education- Doctoral Packet for Fall 2014 – This packet is subject to change.
Standards for admission are based on multiple sources of evidence of an applicant's qualifications and are comparable to those for doctoral programs in other disciplines and for educational leadership programs in other universities.
Current Criteria for admission to the program include:
Selection Criteria & Pre-Requisites:
- Master’s Degree in Education or related field.
- Complete application form.
- A five page personal statement.
- Résumé detailing five years full-time administration/or teaching or mid managerial work experience.
- Official transcripts from all previous colleges and universities.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- 3.0 Grade Point Average on graduate work.
- Professional experience demonstrating leadership potential.
- Evidence of strong personal and professional qualities with potential for leadership.
- Demonstrated writing ability in English.
- Participation in community affairs and Hispanic culture and issues.
- If selected as a finalist, participate in the doctoral applicant “Assessment Center” as part of the selection process.
- Commit to fulfilling four years in doctoral coursework and be willing to complete a dissertation.
Admission will be seriously considered for applicants who do not meet the customary GPA / GRE or other requirements but whose credentials indicate a good probability of success in doctoral study.
Turnaround Time on Application Decision
First selection of applicants is typically made by the end of February and final sections are made in March and April.