Guidance and Counseling (Licensed Professional Counselor Track)
- Students desiring to become a Licensed Professional Counselor, (not work in the Public School system as a Certified School Counselor) may apply for admission to the LPC Track only.
- Licensure Professional Licensure Track
- Licensure Eligible: 60 hours
- EPSY 6358 Introduction to Research
- EPSY 6350 Introduction to Statistics: required
- EPSY 6360 Professional, Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
- EPSY 6362 Personal and Social Development
- EPSY 6363 Theories of Counseling
- EPSY 6364 Methods and Techniques of Counseling
- EPSY 6365 Group Counseling
- EPSY 6366 Life and Career Development Theories
- EPSY 6367 Assessment in Counseling
- EPSY 6390 Human Growth and Development
- EPSY 6391 Cultural Diversity in Counseling
- EPSY 6396 6392 Advanced Methods and Techniques
- EPSY 6393 Marriage and Family
- EPSY 6394 Advanced Group Counseling
- EPSY 6305 Advanced Studies in Psychopathology of Child/Adolescents
- EPSY 7352 Psychotherapy for Children/Adolescents
- EPSY 6395 Advanced Studies in Mental Disorders
- EPSY 6368 Practicum I
- EPSY 6369 Practicum II
- EPSY 6392 Practicum III
Total: 60 hours
State Requirements for Licensure in Texas
- A Master’s Degree in Counseling or related field on at least master’s level
- A planned graduate program in counseling or related field of at least 48 semester hours
- Applicant’s must also have a supervised practicum experience that is primarily professional counseling in nature of at least 300 clock-hours which were a part of the required planned graduate program.
- Successful completion of the National Counselor’s Exam (NCE).
- Successful completion of the Jurisprudence Exam.
- Completion of 3000 hours of supervised experience after the completion of the required coursework, the NCE, and the Jurisprudence exam.
- Completion of UTPA coursework that satisfy the Board Examination Curriculum areas, as follows:
- Normal and Human Growth Development
- Abnormal Human Behavior
- Appraisal or Assessment Techniques
- Counseling Theories
- Counseling Methods and Techniques
- Group Dynamics---Theories and Techniques
- Life Style and Career Development
- Social, Culture, and Family Issues
- Professional Orientation
- Practicum (300 clock-hours)
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the LPC Program Coordinator, Dr. Cynthia Wimberly at 956-665-3464 or at his email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
For current regulations governing LPC requirements, consult the State Board at: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/plc/default.shtm.