Guidance and Counseling (Licensed Professional Counselor Track)
State Requirements for Licensure in Texas
- A Master’s Degree in Counseling or related field on at least master’s level
- A planned graduate program in counseling or related field of at least 48 semester hours
- Applicant’s must also have a supervised practicum experience that is primarily professional counseling in nature of at least 300 clock-hours which were a part of the required planned graduate program.
- Successful completion of the National Counselor’s Exam (NCE).
- Successful completion of the Jurisprudence Exam.
- Completion of 3000 hours of supervised experience after the completion of the required coursework, the NCE, and the Jurisprudence exam.
- Completion of UTPA coursework that satisfy the Board Examination Curriculum areas, as follows:
- Normal and Human Growth Development
- Abnormal Human Behavior
- Appraisal or Assessment Techniques
- Counseling Theories
- Counseling Methods and Techniques
- Group Dynamics---Theories and Techniques
- Life Style and Career Development
- Social, Culture, and Family Issues
- Professional Orientation
- Practicum (300 clock-hours)
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the LPC Program Coordinator, Dr. Gregory Scott Sparrow at 956-665-7953 or at his email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
For current regulations governing LPC requirements, consult the State Board at: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/plc/default.shtm.