This course is designed to enable the attendee to learn practical and commonly used skills inherent in a general practice and/or surgical environment. The workshop is focused on the principles of wound care, specifically, wound repair and closure. Laboratory experience includes real time, hands-on demonstration and practice of various wound closure techniques. 3 hours of AAPA approved CMEs included.
- Define the three advanced suture techniques: Running/continuous, vertical mattress and running subcuticular sutures.
- Describe the appropriate treatment and applications of advanced laceration repair, wound care, including application and removal of, and technique and instrumentation for, selected types of skin closures.
- Discuss practical considerations of wound care and suturing in trauma.
Students completing this course will:
- Successfully accomplish all of the aforementioned objective criteria.
- Demonstrate suturing proficiency while practicing with faculty mentors.
- Display their completed suture work after every demonstration and practice session.
1:00 – 1:30 pm Video Resource: Running/Continuous Suture
1:30 – 2:00 pm Suturing Technique Application and Practice
2:00 – 2:30 pm Video Resource: Vertical Mattress Suture
2:30 – 3:00 pm Suturing Technique Application and Practice
3:00 – 3:30 pm Video Resource: Running Subcuticular Suture
3:30 – 4:00 pm Suturing Technique Application and Practice
4:00 pm Closing & Evaluation
Who Should Attend?
Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners.
Elias Villarreal, MPAS, PA-C
Elias Villarreal MPAS, PA-C is the coordinator of the Surgical rotations for the PA program at UTPA. He has participated in this suture workshops in the past and brings years of experience in teaching suturing techniques.
Frank Ambriz, MPAS, PA-C
Frank Ambriz is the Chair of the Physician Assistant Program at UTPA and coordinates the Emergency Rotations and the UrgentCare Capstone. He is a practicing PA in Urgent Care.
UTPA McAllen Teaching Site. Map!
1 PM - 4 PM
The registration fee per person is $99.
The fee includes materials needed for the hands-on activities
Participants should have completed the Suture Basic Workshop or have some understanding of the basics of suturing.