- 20.8 million people - 7% of the population - have diabetes. 14.6 million are diagnosed. 6.2 million are undiagnosed. (National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse, 2005)
- The estimated population of the Rio Grande Valley is 1,170,776. (National Census Bureau, 2006)
- The estimated diabetes prevalence rate in the Rio Grande Valley is 26%. (UTPA Border Health Office, 2006)
- Over 5,000 school nurses have been trained and certified for the Acanthosis Nigricans assessments.
- Assessments are conducted in 11 Texas Education Agency Education Service Center Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, 13, 15, 18, 19 and 20.
- Over 750,000 Texas school children in grades 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th were screened in the 2005-2006 school year.
For further information about either the Diabetes Registry or the AN Screenings please feel free to take a look at our publications section.