Objective: ENHANCE RECRUITMENT EFFORTS AT ALL STAGES OF THE PROCESS
- Develop comprehensive recruitment plan. All search committees are required to complete a comprehensive ADVANCE recruitment plan using an on-line portal, detailing how their search will address an expanded applicant pool to recruit a vibrant, diverse faculty.
- Providing training to search committees. Mandatory annual training for all search committee members, Department Chairs, and Deans generate awareness of and sensitivity to unintentional biases in the STEM faculty hiring process.
- Initiating new advertisement strategies to generate more diverse applicant pools. This includes going beyond the standard EEOC statement to encourage female candidates to apply. Strategies include advertising in women’s organizations publications like WISE (Women in Science and Engineering); targeting/inviting specific potential applicants; and sending Department Chairs and/or search committee members to recruit and set up booths at women’s and Hispanic target conferences. Departments can use the allocated recruitment enhancement funding for these purposes. An advertisement in the Chronicle of Higher Education was also placed in Fall 2013, announcing UTPA's ADVANCE Program.
- Expanding the number of interviewed candidates’ pool for more diversity. We provide supplemental funding for each search in order to bring in additional female candidates for campus interviews. Funds may also be available for enhancing campus visits.
- Enhancing start-up packages for new female faculty in STEM fields. We have allocated significant resources for STEM female recruitment startup package enhancements to be distributed competitively for 2-4 new STEM females for laboratory and research equipment use. This is used as an added incentive and does NOT replace the standard startup currently offered. In addition, we have allocated funding for graduate research assistantships to be added in the recruitment package.
- Rebecca N. Mitchell (Co-Chair) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Professor of English and Vice Provost Fellow for Faculty Affairs
- Andras Balogh
- ADVANCE Chair Fellow, Professor of Mathematics and Chair
- Hasina Huq
- ADVANCE STEM Fellow, Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering
- Kristine Lowe
- ADVANCE STEM Fellow, Associate Professor of Biology
- Alicia Morley
- Director of the Office of Institutional Equity
- Rajiv Nambiar
- ADVANCE Chair Fellow, Associate Professor of Manufacturing Engineering and Chair