Education and Empowerment
Education & Empowerment Initiative
Objective: PROMOTE CAMPUS AWARENESS AND POSITIVE CLIMATE
- Communication & Dissemination. We organize seminars, workshops, and lectures, including those given by nationally recognized leaders, to inform various participants across campus about the gender issues in STEM and our initiatives aimed at transforming the academic culture at UTPA.
- Women Faculty Network (WFN) The mission of the Women’s Faculty Network is to empower female faculty members by advocating for opportunities to advance women’s professional development in research, teaching, and service, while balancing their personal, career, physical, and mental health demands at the University of Texas – Pan American. The WFN provides a university-wide forum for the discussion of ideas and mutual concerns of female faculty members. The WFN utilizes its collective wisdom and experience to inform policymaking at the university and is a key network from which the administration can gain vital input regarding policies that affect female faculty members across campus. The WFN had its first meeting on December 6, 2012; almost one year to the day (December 5, 2013), there was an official WFN bylaws signing ceremony with the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs. The WFN listserv (created in Summer 2013) is instrumental in disseminating news and other information to female faculty members across campus. Starting in Spring 2014, the six WFN standing committees became operational; these committees are the following: Achievement; Ethics; Membership; Mentoring & Outreach; Tenure/Promotion/Annual Review; and Wellness.
- Mandatory Annual Training for Chairs, Deans, and Search Committee members. The goal of this initiative is to share expertise, knowledge and materials, and disseminate resources and guidelines regarding issues related to gender diversity, effective recruitment, and retention best practices. Information regarding work-life issues, such as flexible scheduling, teaching workload, maternity/paternity, tenure/promotion, and collegiality will also be provided.
Lecturers and Workshops. Through ADVANCE, lecturers and workshops are being provided on issues such as leading a healthy lifestyle, coping with stress, and managing conflicting demands of work and family.
- Marie T. Mora firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professor of Economics and Finance and Vice Provost Fellow for Faculty Affairs