Thank you for your interest in the doctoral program in Rehabilitation Counseling at the University of Texas-Pan American. The Ph.D. in Rehabilitation Counseling offered by the Department of Rehabilitation is designed primarily to prepare students to become rehabilitation educators, researchers and administrators, and additionally offers the academic preparation to become certified as rehabilitation counselors. The degree focuses on advanced training in counseling specializing in working with people with disabilities and involves approximately two years of full time coursework plus a dissertation. This is a 66-semester credit hour program for graduates holding a Masterís degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, but is offered to related disciplines that may require taking up to an additional 27 hours of Foundation courses (requires review of graduate transcript for possible course waivers).
This degree is unique to Texas and provides students with the opportunity to develop skills in teaching, research and publishing, grant writing, and advanced rehabilitation counseling practice. Students additionally have the flexibility to design their own specialty areas by utilizing 15 hours of electives and independent study. Specialized course offerings in rehabilitation administration, vocational assessment, forensic rehabilitation, addictions, and assistive technology are available. Course descriptions provide further information about the courses. In preparing students to become scholars, 12 hours of statistics and research design are followed by 12 hours of dissertation once students have completed all coursework and successfully passed their comprehensive preliminary exam.
Why a Ph.D. in Rehabilitation Counseling from UTPA…
- We have the EXPERTS! - Within the Department of Rehabilitation there are 13 tenured or tenure-track professors from Division I research schools across the country.
- There is a DEMAND! The demand for rehabilitation educators, administrators and counselors are projected to not meet the supply over the next 10 years with approximately 50% of the workforce retiring.
- Classes are CONVENIENT! - All courses are generally offered in the evenings and several leveling courses are also available on-line.
- We offer SPECIALIZED COURSES! - Students have the flexibility to design their own specialty areas. Specialized courses are offered in rehabilitation administration, vocational assessment, forensic rehabilitation, addictions and assistive technology.
- AFFORDABLE tuition!- UTPA has one of the lowest tuition rates in the U.S. You will maximize the return on your graduate education.
- Great LOCATION! - UTPA is located in Edinburg, TX, in a tropical region called the Rio Grande Valley. We are 15 miles from the Mexican border and about an hour away from beautiful South Padre Island on the Gulf of Mexico.
Time to Degree: The average would be 3 years.
Total Credit Hours: 66 hours
Areas of Concentration: Professors of Rehabilitation Counseling, Professional Counselors or Rehabilitation Administrators.